Re: What is GNOME and Getting some real data on users

Hi, John.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:07:25 +1300
"John Williams" <JWilliams business otago ac nz> wrote:

I have a few vague ideas about what I would like to know, but I would
rather ask for your burning questions.  Specifically, when discussing
the issues that are raised in this list, what assumptions do you make
about how users act and what they think?  I can test whether these
assumptions are in fact true.

I just read an interview with Matthias Ettrich, KDE founder and Qt
developer, see [1]. He said:

"A typical GNOME user seems to avoid KDE applications as the devil
avoids holy water. Vice versa, a typical KDE user tends to avoid Gtk+ or
Gnome-based applications. This creates unhealthy pressure to clone any
good idea that shows up in one camp, which in turns creates lesser
friendly feelings towards each other."

I agree to this observation but what I'd be interested in: Why is this
so?

A few possible answers have already be discussed in the GNOME support
forum.

1. Beauty: Changing a theme for one toolkit usually means to manually
find a similar theme for the other toolkit and manually set it up. But
themes don't change some things, for example the tree widgets.

2. Confusion: If you are used to one buttom order, apps that use the
other one, can be irritating.

3. Efforts: Desktop integration also means to learn some general things.
Learning two of those is inconvinient, and sometimes also confusing.

4. Low ressources: If you don't have a lot of memory on your system,
running both QT and GTK can slow up your system.

Questions, I'd be interested in: Is there any other possible answer not
mentioned yet? Which of these answers is the most important? Is there a
difference in jugdement about these reasons between "experienced" user
and starters?

Answers on these questions might be helpful for GNOME, KDE, and
freedesktop.org to build appropriate policies: What needs to be done to
lessen the gap between both camps? Maybe a sort of dbus based desktop
identification for apps: "I'm running under gnome, thus I should not
show images in dialogs, use gconf for storing infos, and show the other
bottom order."-sort of thing.

IMHO, higher consistency would make Linux on the desktop more likely, so
answers on these questions are very relevant.

Cheers,

Claus

[1] http://www.fosdem.org/2005/index/interviews/interviews_ettrich