Re: Concerning (Live) CDs

Hi,

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:31:31 +0100
Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

I'm sure that we don't want to create a GNOME distribution for
installation. Why aren't any of the existing distributions acceptable?

Sorry. I didn't want to say, existing distributions are not acceptable.
On the other hand, it is difficult for most people to hand over a usual
CD to somebody you hardly know.

You need good arguments. "This is Linux with lots of cool software."
is seldomly sufficient. In fact, Windows comes pre-installed and you can
get lots of additional standard software for free (as in beer) already -
some of them OpenSource.

But: "This is Linux, including the software you'll need for your
studies." might do the trick.

At least, it will do the trick if one day, you can add "The whole
department (faculty, college) uses it."  :-)

So it basically depends on the distributions if they are willing to add
the additional scientific software to the package - either on a second
CD, or included on the installation or Live CD.

I'd be glad if we would be able to convince existing distribution to
join and help. I'll try to be more clear in the wiki page(s).

Cheers,

Claus