Re: How interested in promoting GTK apps? [was Re: real marketing or just catchy slogans?]

i think we shouldn't be promoting gtk apps in order to boost the gnome
brand, because:

- real-life gnome desktops (like ubuntu or fedora core) default to
openoffice.org, and sometimes they don't even INCLUDE "gnome office"
(abiword, gnumeric, etc)... so in the dubious case we actually get
people to try gnome (via ubuntu and/or fedora), they won't find those
gnome apps there.  in marketing, a fake promise is a serious
brand-killer... and we don't want to kill our brand, do we?  :)
- even if they would find those apps in a real-life gnome desktop (and
they won't), is that what's to push in our brand?  are we an isolated
word processor (or a spreadsheet) in a foreign environment, or an
integrated solution?  how much of that "integrated solution" will they
see with abiword running on win32?  imho, little to nothing...

it would be good to have abiword (and gnumeric and gimp etc) relating
themselves a bit more to gnome ("brought to you by the gnome desktop",
"a proud component of the gnome desktop", or something like that)...
the same way it would be good to have ubuntu or fedora relating to us
a bit more.  but we can't build much based on that.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra