Re: Desktop personas (draft)

Alex Hudson wrote:
[It's also valid to argue that personas are not a useful tool; many
people hold that viewpoint. I don't, personally, but there are
significant limitations to how you can use it IMHO]

There's a huge difference between "personas are not a useful tool" and "personas are not a useful tool *for marketing*". You wouldn't figure out a marketing strategy by doing videotaped interactive user testing of our slogans, or making functional paper prototypes of marketing plans. And you wouldn't make usable software by holding a focus group meeting or buying advertising time during the Super Bowl. Usability and marketing are totally different things, and of course you're going to need different tools for them.

-- Dan