Re: random idea- cvs overviews for gnome journal?

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 13:12 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:50:00PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
Would it make sense to do a monthly (or weekly) review of cvs-commits
traffic to get the highlights out into gnome-journal (and hence the
public) and to provide sources for feature lists for the release notes?

I'll leave that to Jim since he's the editor. :-)  I suspect that he'd
be happy to accomdate it if someone will do the work.

Just to be clear, I think it is useful, with or without gnome-journal,
since bug folks could easily read it to pick up things to test,
release-note writers and PR people could use it to pick things to brag
about, etc. It just seems like gnome-journal is a reasonable vehicle to
use to distribute and edit such a thing.

This would be potentially be a high-dedication but high-reward project
for someone. It could also be broken up by module into tasks for several
people, if they wanted to.

Does Subversion have good metadata that we could do to make this easier?
Maybe a good driver towards using Subversion (like KDE is moving towards)
for all this.  Because it does seem like a lot of work.  A good project
for someone who has good skills in XML stuff I think.

Unless the metadata is of the form 'bug fix', 'feature', etc., I don't
think it is of much value for this particular task. But I'm happy to be
wrong :)

I still get the cvs commit summaries, but they are just stats
about who are the top committers, and what module was the most active
it doesn't provide a lot of detail unfortunately.  I could follow up
on it if people want me to and see how it gets generated.

Again, unless we're generating metadata, I don't think we can autogen
much. It's just a reading exercise, really... still, a very valuable
one.

Luis