Re: random idea- cvs overviews for gnome journal?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:50:00PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
Would it make sense to do a monthly (or weekly) review of cvs-commits
traffic to get the highlights out into gnome-journal (and hence the
public) and to provide sources for feature lists for the release notes?

I'll leave that to Jim since he's the editor. :-)  I suspect that he'd
be happy to accomdate it if someone will do the work.

This would be potentially be a high-dedication but high-reward project
for someone. It could also be broken up by module into tasks for several
people, if they wanted to.

Does Subversion have good metadata that we could do to make this easier?
Maybe a good driver towards using Subversion (like KDE is moving towards)
for all this.  Because it does seem like a lot of work.  A good project
for someone who has good skills in XML stuff I think.

I still get the cvs commit summaries, but they are just stats
about who are the top committers, and what module was the most active
it doesn't provide a lot of detail unfortunately.  I could follow up
on it if people want me to and see how it gets generated.

Surely if you want to see what's happened to a module over a certain
amount of time, you should just look at the ChangeLog, or NEWS if it's
being updated. Maybe a script could do a diff on all NEWS files between a
new checkout and one from a month ago.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com