Re: Getting marketing-list going again..

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 00:21 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 16:46 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
Greetings folks!

I thought I would (with a little help from Luis) attempt to get
marketing list and see if we can come up with a good strategy to market
GNOME to all those people who we KNOW want to use it. :-)

To start off, I thought we would use Luis's notes from GNOME Summit
as a point to start off discussion.  I haven't put anything up yet becuase
there is still web infrastructure that we need to get marketing going and
we don't quite have that yet.  Hopefully, after the infrastructure move
is complete we have somewhere to go.

Please read:

http://tieguy.org/events/2004/gnomesummit/marketing-notes/

Comments, thoughts?

I was particularly intrigued by

"* need live CD for conferences, media, etc.- imagine being able to send
CDs of 2.7.9 to eWeek, etc."

in the TODO list.

I have some experience with building Live CDs - and I was wondering
if we can hook up the GNOME tinderbox
(http://gnome-build.ximian.com/tinderbox/LATEST/) with a (semi)automated
Live CD build system ??

The basic idea is to get the build system do the install in some system
wide accessible directory (maybe /opt/gnome<version>??), and if the
entire process is successful, copy that entire directory into a live cd
file system (shell script), and then build the live cd (scriptifiable).

It's just a crazy idea of mine - comments, flames, brickbats are
welcome.

Sounds like a wild, crazy idea I like ;) I hadn't made the connection
between the tinderbox and the liveCD stuff at all. It would be fairly
easy to get the tinderbox to build into a prefix in /opt/<foo>/, copy it
into a livecd tree, create an iso, and deposit it somewhere for
download, assuming someone could provide a functional base livecd system
that could take the stuff in /opt/<foo>/.

Any chance you could find/create such a base system, sayamindu? :)

Luis