Re: Getting marketing-list going again..

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 02:07 -0200, Sebastien Biot wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
I thought I would (with a little help from Luis) attempt to get
marketing list and see if we can come up with a good strategy to market
GNOME to all those people who we KNOW want to use it. :-)

Comments, thoughts?

There are so many issues to discuss (target markets and segments,
distributions, positioning...) and I have an informed opinion on so few
of them that I'll only mention one: promotion.

I was surprised to see how little press we got when 2.8 came out. I
could easily blame Ubuntu of course for stealing GNOME's thunder but I
won't. ;-) Anyway it got me thinking about how we could more effectively
communicate with the world outside the GNOME and FOSS communities.

Yeah, it's unfortunate.  I have a contact at a linux magazine but
attempts to reach him have not proven fruitful.  We were trying to get
one of our article writers for GNOME Journal to write a review for a
real print magazine.  I'll attempt to try again.  It'll be good to get
more reviews especially for "print" magazines as that will give us good
exposure to casual readers.

I'd like to propose, and I do volunteer for this, the following two
tasks to the group. I believe they are essential components to our
marketing initiative.

Cool!

First, we have to get much better at communicating with the press. Since
this is at least partially the Foundation's responsibility I think we
should support its efforts by creating a press kit and a reviewer's
guide. (Liam Quin already suggested the creation of the latter a few
months ago). We should make it extremely easy to write and talk about
GNOME. Until we figure out more elaborate means to communicate this is
probably the most effective way to get started marketing GNOME.

Having press contacts would be a good start.  We might need to talk with
O'Reilly and others.  Attending conferences and what is a good start.

Second, we have to better support volunteers representing the project at
conferences and trade shows. Here I propose that we inventory and update
all our promotional material (pamphlets, presentations, posters, etc.)
so as to make it easy for those volunteers to make professional looking
material available to the public. I have actually started some of that work.

Gael has written some nice stuff that I used for OSCON.  You might want
to look around Feb-April in the market-list archives.  There is a place
on ftp.gnome.org that has all this.

I'm glad to see the marketing list revived. There's a lot to do and I'm
very much ready to lend a hand. As I stated earlier, I recognize that
some of the issues surrounding marketing GNOME are quite complex and
while I'll happily join the discussion around those topics, for the time
being, I'll be content concentrating on those tasks I outlined.

Indeed, it's going to be fun!