Re: Wiki updates

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:28:55 +0100
David Neary <bolsh gimp org> wrote:

First in the TargetMarkets page, I have added my comments about
the target audiences that we have vaguely pointed a finger at -
early adopters, ISVs, Linux distros, enterprise and public
sector, and finally the big market of "end users".

Good idea. I haven't found the page interesting until now.

Second, I would like to discuss the core idea of my posters,
which is the use of references.

Talking heads posters are the easiest thing to do, they are
stories which are readily available, and they have a great morale
boosting effect within the project.

IMHO, they are the hardest thing to do. People judge other people within
seconds when they first meet - well known psychological rule, and a
biological rationale might be the hypotheses that humans are often other
humans worst enemies.

Unless you have pictures with "streamlined" faces (i.e. young looking
models, small children, or elderly persons), you going to teach people
associating a potential negative jugdement about the shown person with
a judgement about GNOME (i.e. not sympatical).

There was another question that came up too. I thought it would
be a good idea to have lots of poster designs, perhaps split into
families targetting different groups (LUGs, government,
companies) and print as required. I didn't think that say 12
poster ideas would be too many. Does this sound like a reasonable
way to go?

I don't think so. Consistency is one of the most central requirements of
every sucessful promotion. People have better things to do as watching
our material - their attention is low, in general. If a layout can't be
adapted for all potential media (web and paper in our case), even beauty
won't help.

However, this does not mean that everything should look identical. Think
of Marlboro as an example: Lots of different images and texts over the
years, but a consistent style you can recognize immediately.

Happy christmas,

Claus