Re: Minutes from 2004-12-8 marketing meeting

Hi,

Just a couple of things (clarifications and additions).

Quoting Ian McIntosh <ian_mcintosh linuxadvocate org>:
Sbiot and Bolsh think LiveCD on campuses offers "limited returns."

What I meant by this is that if we target campuses, then we're targeting college
computer users. I don't know about you guys, but when I was in college only the
geeks used the computers a lot.

What you really want to target is the college IT infrastructure, to have
computer labs using GNOME on GNU/Linux, and that's a tougher call. It's also a
different target audience. A healthy GNOME user group in the college helps, but
it's not even 10% of what you need to get a college department to switch, or
even to install some GNOME machines alongside the Windows machines.

The ideal (as someone said last night) is to arrive at a stage where people are
asked to submit course material in open standards, and encouraged to use
programs like Abiword, GNUMeric and OpenOffice.org.

Bolsh thinks publishing posters and t-shirt designs on gnome.org is
enough (LUGs will print them up locally)

I actually meant that it would be useful, but that we shoudl do both (provide
designs online, *and* be aware of events and ship stuff out when practical).

Bolsh likes Claus's "My desktop of choice" line, Sbiot doesn't.
Claus suggested "Our desktop of choice."
Sbiot thinks "of choice" implies that people do choose which is not true
and "desktop" is a geek word.

I liked the dual sense - "I choose this desktop" and "this desktop is about
choice". But yes, I agree that desktop is a little too computery for a wider
audience.

One thing we talked about that I didn't see was the idea of asking distros to
use GNOME. I think it was Claus who thought that this might be an easy win, if
we get one popular distro to install RedHat by default, we automatically get
lots of users. I agree, I don't think there is any harm in asking. I also agree
with Sebastien that distros aren't our primary focus. But they could be an easy
win :)

By the way, I have started to add some data to the page
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/ExistingGnomeDeployments and I would
appreciate some help. I am sure that I don't know even half of the high profile
deployments we could talk about, and each of the deployments mentioned could do
with some more links to supporting material - case studies and news reports,
ideally. The questions that you want to be able to answer are "Why did X choose
GNOME? What did it offer over the competition?" I think in the case of GNOME,
that will have very little to do with cost, and more to do with the things we
consider important - particularly usability.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary