Re: [Ekiga-list] Answering a call with i3-wm and dunst (Debian Stretch)

On 04/03/2017 03:53 AM, unfilt1 deepthought to wrote:
Thank for your quick answer.

On 03/21/2017 04:23 PM, Eugen Dedu wrote:
On 21/03/17 12:49, unfilt1 deepthought to wrote:
I'm using Ekiga 4.0.1 and can't answer incoming calls; if I click
on the popup window it disappears and there are not other
notifications, e.g. in the main window. Screenshot:
http://de.tinypic.com/r/29et8k1/9

Is there a workaround, e.g. answering the call with a hotkey?
(Automatically answering the call is not an option for me.)

I'm using the i3 window manager with the Dunst notification daemon
on a Debian Stretch.
Try opening the call window (the camera icon), and when a call
appears press the green icon in the call window.
The call window doesn't have activity when receiving a call, the handset
icons are grayed out.

It only has activity when I have an outgoing call.
Ekiga depends on a working notification framework, but the Call Window
(from View/Camera) works for me in 4.0.1 with broken notifications.
Maybe Ekiga is actually unable to answer the call?  There are other bug
reports on bugzilla.redhat.com indicating that no error pops up in this
case.  It is tricky to get the firewall to allow SIP calls through NAT.

I hope I don't make this list mad, but I've been seeing Linphone on the
side.  8-O

It has . . . *different* . . . bugs than ekiga - but it's most wonderful
feature is IPv6 support!  Although it can't use IPv6 and IPv4 at the
same time - you have to switch between them (highly annoying).  One
idea Ekiga could use from Linphone: an option to use a fixed port for
audio and video RTP - makes firewall configuration much simpler.

In any case, having both installed can be valuable in narrowing down
problems.  Note that only one at a time can be registered with a SIP
service like ekiga.net.

Now, let me trying light a fire under Ekiga concerning IPv6:

with IPv6, you don't need a service like ekiga.net to talk to another
IPv6 SIP user.  Just treat their IPv6 as a phone number and call them
directly.  For the next level, use an IPv6 mesh vpn like Cjdns.  Now you
can use your cjdns IP (which is a normal IPv6 IP in fc00::/8) as your
phone number - and it stays the same no matter what your ICANN IP is as
your mobile device travels the world.  And the call is authenticated
(the cjdns IP is authenticated similarly to a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographically_Generated_Address) and
end-to-end encrypted.   You don't need to trust relay nodes.  This was a
"killer" demo at my last mesh networking meeting.  I've user tested this
with non-technical users - they have no trouble with the concept of a
"phone number", even when it looks like
fc15:ceb6:d810:898f:eaf7:3c16:6476:dd40, and you just add those "phone
numbers" to your address book anyway.