Re: [Ekiga-list] SIP Proxy

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 17:09:12 +0300
Jānis Rukšāns <thedogfarted gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover gmail com>
wrote:
I'm having trouble with ghost calls. While waiting for next version
of Ekiga which will have blacklist option I was wondering if I could
install a SIP proxy in my router to block unwanted calls. My router
is running FreeBSD, I see there is SER in ports. Will SER do what I
want?

It is certainly possible to configure SER (or one of its clones,
personally I'm using OpenSIPS) to filter out unwanted calls. However,
keep in mind that SER isn't the most user friendly software around,
and, unless there is some GUI I am not aware of, the learning curve is
quite steep even if you are a programmer. It is a "carrier-grade" SIP
router software after all.

OK, I guess it is not worth the effort then. I'm not a GUI person, but
I'm not someone who thinks ed is the greatest editor.

Depending on what are the conditions for blocking the calls, what you
want might be easier to achieve with the built-in functionality of
your router.

There is no built-in functionality in my router, it is running FreeBSD
installed and configured from scratch.

--
Cheers, Saul