Re: [Ekiga-list] VoIP account needed to video-chat?

On 25/10/15 11:23, c buhtz posteo jp wrote:
Hi,

I was using Ekiga for my german VoIP-account in Japan, without problems.

Now I have a windows user who want to video-chat with me. Because of
technical and pedagogical reasons I don't want to use Skype or Hangouts
here. ;)

So I read that ekiga can do video-chat, too. Nice.

But how does this work technicaly? Does it run over the VoIP-protocoll?
Does my partner need a VoIP-account for that? I think this would be to
much for him to setup. ;)

It works using SIP protocol, video codecs etc. You do not need a VoIP account, but in this case you need to use IP addresses to call. See http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Call_on_internet_.28PC_to_PC.29 and http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Network_neighbours.

Cheers,