Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga-list Digest, Vol 86, Issue 16

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:44 (-0400), Morris Beverly wrote:

In general, and please don't take this the wrong way as I am a long
time supporter of all Damien's (and other's)  work on this great
project, I've found that ekiga seems to be moving away from it's
formerly strong support of h323 in favor of sip.  This of course
makes perfect sense since 323 is entirely unsuited for work across
the internet and sip works much more reliably.  I know that the
project is meant to be an internet soft phone and not really a
complete video conferencing system.  However it used to be really
nice to be able to connect up to other 323 hardware platforms like
polycom, tandberg  and the rest.  I also realize that the
difficulties are usually because vendors have implemented things in a
way to make interoperability difficult so they can keep market share
through lock in.  Alas, I know that I'm in the minority and with
limited developer hours things have to be prioritized to help the
greatest number of users.  I guess I'm just longing for the old days,
back before I became a grumpy old man ;)

Don't be too harsh on yourself.  Sometimes I need to connect with
Polycom equipment, and so reduction in h323 functionality is troubling
for me as well.

Also, even between two instances of ekiga, sometimes I can get h323 to
work when sip just won't go.  So FWIW, I'd like to see h323 to stay.

But maybe I'm just an old grumpy guy too.  (Ow!)

                                Jim