Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga use license (commercial use?) & Ekiga/Diamondcard software questions

Le mercredi 16 octobre 2013 à 00:34 -0400, zanaglen aol com a écrit :
Hello folks.

I just joined this forum in hopes that you all would be so kind as to
help me answer a couple questions.

First, in case this is helpful information in answering my questions:

I am looking to use my home PC to: (1) make outgoing phone calls to
others with land lines and mobile phones; and to: (2) receive incoming
phone calls from others with land lines and mobile phones.

My first question:

I saw the GNU license for Ekiga at:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

(I apologize if the answer to my next question is there.  I wasn't
able to find it.)

Can you please tell me if it is permissible under the Ekiga use
license to use the Ekiga software & Ekiga soft phone to make/receive
phone calls with my home PC (as stated above) for the purposes of
seeking/soliciting and conducting business (for a self-employed
independent freelance home-based business)?

Yes, you can. In fact this licence grant you the right to use this
software for any purpose.

Here is the license :
https://git.gnome.org/browse/ekiga/tree/COPYING?id=EKIGA_4_0_1

The interesting part for you is :
"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
Whether that is true depends on what the Program does."

And my next questions:

I hope you don't mind my asking -- If Diamondcard has its own soft
phone, then do I still require the Ekiga software & Ekiga soft phone?

Any software using the SIP protocol will do, no matter if endorsed by
diamondcard.us.

But please consider you are then using 2 thing : the ekiga software and
a service provided by diamondcard. You should check if diamondcard is
suitable for your activity. Ekiga and diamondcard are not directly
related.

If not, what would be the benefits of using the Ekiga software & Ekiga
soft phone over using the Diamondcard software & Diamondcard soft
phone? (assuming that what I would use it for was to be limited to
what I stated above towards the beginning of this e-mail)

It's up to you to do the comparison and find what better suits you. We
are committed to standards.

Best regards,
Yannick

Thanks much!