Re: [Ekiga-list] segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

On 12/05/13 20:46, wempwer gmail com wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi!

I am a first time Ekiga user. I got interested in Ekiga because I am
looking a for a free FLOSS solution to stay in touch with my family
during a long business trip to a distant country. I set up an account
at https://www.ekiga.net/ and got a confirmation e-mail. When I start
Ekiga it says I am registered. I am using Ekiga 4.0.1. Everything is
fine up to this point.

Good!

However, there are 2 situations when Ekiga gives me a segmentation fault
- sometimes when it starts and always at a callback test. Here are the
log: startup http://pastebin.com/L1rCbUAy, callback test:
http://pastebin.com/yjr5rA8c.

I have never met those crashes. Maybe they have something to do with the fact that your X server does not have randr extension???

Unfortunately, for crashes we need the gdb trace, preferably together with -d 4, cf. http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_stack_backtrace_from_a_crash_or_freeze.

Also, sometimes callback test fails to connect and it says "Remote host

For this error we need a -d 4 log when it appears.

is offline". However, sometimes it connects but segmentation fault
follows immediately. I don't know what's the reason. AFAIK, Exiga
doesn't provide a proxy service the way Skype does. If I call someone,
Ekiga only checks which computer is registered to this address and gives
my client this computer's IP address and that's it, my computer connects
to this computer via its IP. It makes me think if it's reliable enough
to be used in public WiFi networks in hotels, has somebody tested that?

I personally used it successfully in public wi-fi networks.

So there are three issues: two crashes and a connection error.