Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga option

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 10/15/2012 04:01 PM,
gideon425 gb6 mailnull com would write:
> A follow-up question, why would I need an SIP proxy? If you can call "x y com" without the proxy, in what situations would a proxy be useful?

When you have company SIP phones/software behind a firewall, you
generally need a SIP proxy as the authorized gateway.  Also, when you
are behind NAT (as with a typical home router) with more than one SIP
phone, a SIP proxy can help with compatibility with x y com that doesn't
handle that well.  Ekiga.net does not provide SIP proxy, so you have to
set your router to forward incoming SIP/RTP connections to your single
ekiga instance.  (Diamondcard essentially provides "proxy" service to
landlines and works fine with multiple ekiga instances.)  With something
like asterisk running at home behind NAT, it provides a single point of
contact for incoming calls, and routes them to the appropriate private IP.