Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga with no ports forwarded to it

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 03/20/2012 08:50 PM, Dima would
write:
> What is the right way to configure Ekiga for operation on a laptop that
> primarily uses public WiFi for internet connection?
>
> Surely no ports will be forwarded for it and it will probably sit behind
> NAT...

You will not be able to receive direct VOIP calls.  However, it will
work with a POTS service such as diamondcard (Ekiga Callout) or other
VOIP telephone service.

diamondcard also offers VPN service, which will encrypt your calls
(between you and their servers).

I have family members on openvpn, which then lets you make direct VOIP
calls to other members on the VPN via their private IP.  This also
encrypts the calls.

IP6 would also solve the NAT problems, and I have IP6 everywhere.  But
the last time I checked, Ekiga did not work with IP6.

It would also work with a SIP proxy service - an asterisk server
somewhere on a direct IP - to make and receive VOIP calls.

If you don't want to undertake the (daunting) task of operating asterisk
on a home server, you can buy an embedded box for less than $1000 (more
$$$ for more "lines") that provides sip proxy, telco interface, etc,
etc.   You still need an unnatted IP for your sip proxy.