[Ekiga-list] Experimenting with telnet and Ekiga

In the past I have used telnet for practising with protocols like smtp, pop, ftp etc while reading the rfcs. For example, I could connect via telnet to an smtp server by entering telnet smtp.ntlworld 25 from the command line and then issue smtp commands and view the smtp responses from the server. Very useful!

I would like to use telnet with ekiga in a similar way, for example by calling the echo test function at sip:500 ekiga net, issue INVITE, ACK, BYE etc and observe what happens. I tried connecting by entering:
$ telnet ekiga.net
Trying 86.64.162.35...

and also:

$ telnet ekiga.net 5060