Re: [Ekiga-list] Running Multiple Computers with Ekiga behind same NAT firewall

On 24/05/11 20:23, Paul Jones wrote:
On 05/24/2011 08:16 AM, Eugen Dedu wrote:
On 24/05/11 07:25, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

On 24 May, 2011,at 03:12 PM, Paul Jones<raptorman18 gmail com>   wrote:

  Hi, new to list and to Ekiga and SIP in general.

  Basically, I'm asking if running multiple computers with Ekiga behind
  the same NAT firewall, and each machine will be a different user
with a
  different user account.

  Basically, the way I'm trying to do it is by specifying a port other
  than 5060 for the other computer. I've been using port 5046 for the
  other machine, and forwarding that port to the other machine, and
  changing the Ekiga setting in gconf-editor. But this does not seem to
  work for me.

  By "not work", i mean, the presence notification seems to work, but
the
  echo-test does not work properly, because i can't see the "remote"
video.

  (i test the presence notification by having myself in my own buddy
list)

  So, am I going about it wrong, or is what I'm trying just not
possible.

Hi Paul,

I might be misunderstanding this, but does this help?

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router#I_have_2_Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_using_STUN:_they_can.27t_communicate

You're right, but this tells that the two internal computers cannot
communicate to each other.

However, they should communicate simultaneously with computers from
Internet, such as echo test for ex.  Changing 5060 port is not needed
for that.

If only one computer runs ekiga, does it work?  Finally, be sure to
use 3.2.7, since it fixed a bug like this.

Hi, i just looked at this again. I turned on ekiga in one computer, then
turned it on in the other. ON the first computer, everything worked, I
could see that my user on the machine was on, i could see that the user
on the other machine was also online. Echo test also worked, (i got
"remote video").

However, on the second computer, echo test still worked like it did on
the first machine, but presence didn't seem to work at all. I didn't get
grey for people offline and green for people online, i just got the
little people things, if you understand my description. The user I had
on that machine (machine 2), was online according to machine 1, but not
according to machine 2, since I had the user i was using on machine 2,
in my contact list on machine 2.

I'm assuming that if presence works and echo test works, the machine is
functioning in such a way where it can make and receive calls.

calling works perfectly to contact both computers, and it always has.

I should also describe my network connection a little more. I have a
modem and a router that both have NAT, so I'm double NATed. Right now,
to get Ekiga to work on any computer I have to forward port 5060 UDP on
the modem (only the modem), and Ekiga will work (with the problems I"m
describing in these posts of course). However, Ekiga always has
displayed the notification on startup where it says it cannot detect the
network settings although it is working, once again, with the problems I
am describing above and in these posts.

I don't like putting the router into Access point mode and I don't have
the password that I would need to put the modem into bridge mode. I can
forward the ports in the router and the modem, but my router seems to
have a quirk, where if I forward anything in the router, I can't connect
to IRC, gmail, gtalk, or things like that from any computer. (I know,
that's weird, and has nothing to do with what we are talking about in
this topic.)

So to resume: everything works on both computers, except the presence on computer 2. Well, in this case, the best is to wait a bit until a new unstable release appears and test it, because several changes were made to presence.

By the way, since you received the dialog box with the error, I think you can call, but you cannot be called :o( Try using 520 ekiga net and see if you are called.