Re: [Ekiga-list] Sound quality bad

2011/1/3 Lee Haddad <leeahaddad yahoo com>:
> Have been working fine with audio and video reception/transmission on Grandstream phone. 2 weeks ago sound became greatly degraded. any suggestions?

In which sense degraded? Choppy, noisy,...? Only the direction to you
or only the direction to the connection partner?

For some hardware, Linux ALSA drivers don't properly downsample sound
input (in particular, for me it's the HDA Intel on two of my laptops).
As a result sibilant sounds result being overlaid by unpleasant loud
white noise. On those computers it helps to load oss-compat drivers
(or OSS4, with the same benefit plus mixing capability but it's a pain
to handle for sleep and application compatibility) and configure
programs to use OSS sound input.

So I figured perhaps you changed Ekiga from using OSS to using ALSA
and are suffering from that problem now. Otherwise sorry for the reply
and blame yourself for not having provided enough information. ;)

Christian.