Re: [Ekiga-list] Add (-o) logfile argument (like wget)

On 22/12/11 15:52, Genghis Khan wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:01:31 -0400
Jim Diamond<Jim Diamond acadiau ca>  wrote:

Just because wget does it does not mean it's a good idea.
Why bloat the code (and documentation) with a unneeded option?

How much of code would a thing like this be? It would not be much.
What would this add to the documentation?
It will be more obvious to the users that they can make a
troubleshooting report and send it to the developers.

If there is a standard we should try to adhere to, then it is surely the gnu standard. At http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Command_002dLine-Interfaces.html I firstly spoted --version, which is not implemented by ekiga (I will do it).

Concerning -o, it is used for output file name (http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Option-Table.html), not for specifying that the log must be switched on. Ekiga is not an ordinary program, with input and output files. I would better change it to '-l' or -v (verbose, cf. http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Option-Table.html). We could use -v -o FILE (in addition to -v 4 2>...). This issues is still open for me...