Re: [Ekiga-list] sound quality for echo test

On 10/05/10 00:59, Thufir wrote:
I'd like to switch from skype to ekiga, however there are some
performance issues.  With "skype out," for outbound calls, the sound
quality is fine, however when I run the echo test with ekiga the voice is
quite broken up.  (Also, ekiga seems to pin the cpu and I never hear back
from the echo test, although I expect those are separate issues from
sound quality.)

Echo test is just an echo test, it has not good quality. It just allow to see that ekiga works on your machine.

The quality depends on audio and video codecs used, on your network connection and on ekiga code.

About using CPU a lot, this is a known issue, we need help to investigate it...

Is the better sound quality from skype due to compression, or a
proprietary protocol?  Not that skype is perfect, but the sound quality
is acceptable.

Ekiga too uses compression (i.e. compressed codecs).