Re: [Ekiga-list] Outbound use with routers and firewalls

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:26:21 -0400
> From: Christian Jaeger <chrjae gmail com>
> <75514ef21003152326l14610be7ybf6bc32e668ddbeb mail gmail com>
>
> Regarding STUN, as far as I know Ekiga 3.2.6 *always* uses STUN
> (stun.ekiga.net) (it's "builtin" and not part of the preferences
> anymore).

OK, but they need to fix documentation and directions, if they have not already.  If special provision is needed for firewalls and routers, then they need to give concise and clear directions on what is required.  Currently there is a long, rambling section on use with firewalls and routers.  Maybe that section in the wiki needs to be deleted or updated.

If the correct procedure is to do nothing because it's done already, then (1) that's how the program _should_ work, and (2) that section is an irrelevant diversion--one more complication out of many, many problems with getting VOIP working.

> Regarding the user interface not opening: this could be either a
> problem with networking *or* a lock in ALSA. See my recent email
> "Recovering from apps hanging trying to use ALSA" and the script I
> sent there.

Arghh.  Thanks.  Thanks, maybe I'll try that.  It might apply to other programs.  If that is the problem, they need to display an error message instead of displaying nothing.  And it would be preferable still if the program would simply handle the problem automatically.