Re: [Ekiga-list] Using telepathy to register to ekiga.net

Le dimanche 20 juin 2010 à 08:39 +0100, Andrea a écrit :
> On 20/06/10 05:14, YannUbuntu wrote:
> > 2010/6/20 Andrea <mariofutire googlemail com>:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to register to ekiga.net using the Ubuntu chat account dialog (I think it is using
> >> telepathy).
> >> Can't get it to work. Network Error.
> >>
> >> I've saved the ip traffic with wireshark if anybody has time to have a look.
> >> I've read that telepathy/sofiasip used to have issues with NAT/ekiga but can't figure out if I've
> >> hit that or it is something else.
> >>
> >> I'm behind a NAT.
> >>
> >> Hope this is not the wrong place for this request.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Hello Andrea,
> > If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, you can try to update the opal
> > package by adding ppa:sevmek/ppa to your Software Sources and then
> > update your packages and restart Ekiga.
> > Hope this helps.
> > ~Yann
>
> I will try that, but I wanted to see if the "Chat Accounts" was going to work.
> I was *not* using Ekiga.
>
> It seems to send 3 request. 1st and 3rd use my local IP, but the 2nd uses the public IP.
> Don't know enough about sip to understand.

This is documented in the Empathy FAQ:
http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/FAQ#My_Ekiga_account_doesn.27t_work.
"My Ekiga account doesn't work.
This is a problem in the ekiga.net server. Unfortunately this can't be
fixed in Telepathy because it will break the compatibility with other
SIP servers."

AFAIK, this is indeed an issue with the server configuration, but as
Ekiga use another mecanism for client behind a NAT and as it works with
other servers and is an IETF standard (STUN), you could as well ask
Empathy devs to add this feature in their client. On our side we cannot
fix it in a short time as our server administrator is not available at
the moment...

Sorry for the inconvenience. Empathy should work if not behind a NAT
with our server.

Best regards,
Yannick