Re: [Ekiga-list] Unable to now get webcam Logitech C300 working with Ekiga

Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I previously had a Logitech Communicate STX webcam, connected to this
> laptop, and had managed to get it operating (at least, to the Test
> stage), with Ekiga.
>
> Then, I purcahsed a Logitech C300, and managed to get "moving pictures"
> display with that, in Ekiga. I think (but am not sure) that that might
> have been using the settings for the Communicate STX.
>
> The C300 is a UVC webcam.
>
> Whilst I had not been able to take advantage of the higher resolution
> imagery of the C300 (I think that the resolution displayed, was the
> previously mentioned CIF, rather than the 4CIF, resolution), it seemed
> to work.
>
> Then, I performed a Debian system update (I am running Debian 5), this
> last week, and the system updat broke the system.
>
> The restoration involved removing gnome, and reinstalling gnome, and
> iceape, and some other software.
>
> Using Synaptic, I have reinstalled, using the "Mark for reinstallation"
> option, Ekiga.
>
> However, I am still getting the error that appeared after the system
> reconstruction, when I tried running Ekiga with the c300 webcam;
>
> "Error while opening video device UVC Camera (046d:0805)
>
> A moving logo will be transmitted during calls. Notice that you can
> always transmit a given image or the moving logo by choosing "Picture"
> as video plugin and "MovingLogo" or "StaticPicture" as device.
>
> Your video driver doesn't support the requested video format."
>
> I am running Ekiga 2.0.12, which Synaptic shows as being the latest
> version for Debian 5, and Synaptic shows the version of luvcview, as
> being 1:0.2.4-2, and that that is the latest version available for
> Debian 5.
>
> I am unable thus far to get Skype working with the webcam.
>
> I have managed to get Vid working (on a set up and test basis), on Win
> XP, with the webcam, but have been unable to get video call software on
> Linux, working with the webcam.

I do not know what to say, maybe you are not in the video group anymore
(or something like this)??  Maybe you have a diferent kernel or video
driver which creates this problem??  Does cheese or other application
accessing the camera work?

Anyway, it is really strange that a stable update broke the system.