Re: [Ekiga-list] Netmeeting ... Windows & linux

Balázs,

Ekiga can make H.323 calls to netmeeting. I believe in Ekiga config, you
want to set these options:

edit--->preferences

H.323 Settings
	enable H.245 tunneling  - DISABLE
	enable early H.245      - DISABLE
	enable fast start	- DISABLE

You then place the call:

H323:192.168.32.5
(instead of "sip:500 ekiga net")

Remember that H.323 has difficulty going through firewalls, and NAT routers.

H.323 depends on these ports, one document listing the ports:

http://www.microsoft.com/PRODUCTS/internet/netmeeting/reskit/NMRK21CH4.HTM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158623

1720 		H.323 call setup (TCP)
1731 		Audio call control (TCP)  (this is used by netmeeting)
Dynamic 	H.323 call control (TCP)
Dynamic 	H.323 streaming (RTP over UDP)

    *  Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 1720,
    * Pass through secondary TCP and UDP connections on dynamically
assigned ports (1024-65535).

your friends using netmeeting might need an additional codec, I believe
this is some form of SPEEX available - please check legalities of this
SW before using. I have never used it,  both ekiga and netmeeting must
have at least one codec common. By default I believe they do not.

One example I found:
http://www.roed.republika.pl/speexw/

Another page with interesting information:
http://ze-dinosaur.livejournal.com/14389.html

I cannot vouch for any of these methods, I have not used them, and
cannot guarantee legality or results, please check this before using.

My question: why are your friends still using netmeeting ? might this be
the shared desktop capabilities ?

If that is what you are after, I'd recommend tightVNC or similar for
remote desktop, and in fact - Ekiga on all PCs, including windows. then
you can use SIP protocol which should simplify potential NAT/FW issues.

Of course if you really want to use H.323, I believe Ekiga could place
an H323 call to ekiga.

hope this helps.

Best regards,