Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga on Ubuntu using DSL 302G D-Link modem

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 05:56:59AM -0800, mat101 wrote:

> I have a DSL 302G D-link modem and I've been trying to get Ekiga voip working
> on ubuntu 8.10 without any luck, and I was wondering whether anyone might be
> able to solve this problem.
>
> I have tried setting NAT Rule Entries for various ip numbers I thought might
> be the fixed ip of my router (tried 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.10, etc.) and included
> the requisite Ekiga ports in the NAT Rule Entries (3478-3479, 5000-5100,
> 1720), but still no sound or video.

Not quite sure what you mean above: are you trying to follow the
Ekiga-behind-a-NAT-router instructions on the wiki? If you don't know
the ip address of your router, I don't understand how you can reach it to change
the settings.

> Irrespective of the NAT Rule Entries I've used, running Ekiga's druid and
> clicking 'Detect NAT Type' always results in the detection of a 'Symmetric
> NAT' and Ekiga's suggestion to change it to a 'Cone NAT'. I've never been
> able to obtain a Cone NAT.

That means that your trigger rule (if you have one) isn't firing. The whole
point of the trigger is to open a small local "CONE" for the ekiga traffic.
IIRC ekiga will call this something like a "restricted CONE".

> I attempted to get my router ip number by running cmd.exe/ipconfig on XP
> (another partition on the same computer system) and obtained the following
> output:
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.10
>        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
>        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1

Your router is *almost* certainly the gateway. What happens if you
ping that address? Do the router LEDS flash? Can you point a browser
there and see anything?

Who set up your router: not you?

> Some sites claim the above ipconfig output indicates my router ip number is
> 10.1.1.1, and yet other sites claim it is 10.1.1.10. Some have even
> suggested my router ip number should be 192.168.15.1. This is all very
> confusing.

Indeed. What about using wireshark to find out what is going on?
Or just type "route"? (On ubuntu, maybe that is sudo route?)

ael