Re: [Ekiga-list] Logitech cameras

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, peasthope shaw ca wrote:

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:51:51 -0700
From: peasthope shaw ca
To: ekiga-list gnome org
Cc: peasthope shaw ca
Subject: [Ekiga-list] Logitech cameras

In case anyone is thinking of buying a Logitech
camera, this list should be consulted.

http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices/logitech_uvc_device_list.pdf

According to the date at the bottom, it is only
a few days old.  I wonder how many thousands or
millions of hours Linux users have wasted puzzling
over unsupported cameras.  =8-|

Regards,     ... Peter E.

As I have previously said in a posting, I have a Logitech Communicate STX, which appears to work without any (major) problems, on my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 and Ekiga.

The sound input (webcam microphone) seems to be incompatible with skype, running on Ubuntu 8.04, but the webcam seems to work okay with Ubuntu and Ekiga.

The only problem that I have so far found, is that Ekiga does not (in the version that I previously cited) provide for recording video clips, so the only way that I can record videoclips with the webcam, at present, is to reboot into Windows (XP) and record a videoclip (to send to family members who do not have or use video call software), which, unfortunately, is limited to the .wmv file format.

But, the webcam tests okay with the version of Ekiga that I have previously cited, running on Ubuntu 8.04.

But, as no-on has apparently acknowledged, or responded to, my previous posting, perhaps no-one is interested in the information.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."