Re: [Ekiga-list] PTLIB alsa plugin status

Hi,
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Alec Leamas wrote:

- Playback and record thread are synchronized in a way that forces the two streams to wait for each others I/O operations.
Yes - can someone test that ptlib alsa plugin works ok with this mutex removed??

- There is no rebuffering support. This means data underruns sounds worse than necessary.
What is required to do rebuffering? Any code suggestions?

In my opinion, it's not really worth to put much work on using the current alsa plugin. As long as it works, don't touch it... until it get's fixed in a proper way, possibly by using a pulse plugin instead.
It is worth it. Alsa will be around for a long time. This is an opportunity for Ekiga people to contribute back to ptlib&opal (libraries that are crucial to this project)

As for the latency discussion about alsa vs pulse: This review shows that anything will be much better than current alsa code...
The current alsa code works mostly.. it is close.. If there was some usable docs at alsa to explain what is not good, that would help.
Anyone able to work out what is actually wrong in the alsa plugin?

Derek.
--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.