Re: [Ekiga-list] PTLIB alsa plugin status
- From: Derek Smithies <derek indranet co nz>
- To: Ekiga mailing list <ekiga-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] PTLIB alsa plugin status
- Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:22:04 +1300 (NZDT)
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Alec Leamas wrote:
Yes - can someone test that ptlib alsa plugin works ok with this mutex
- Playback and record thread are synchronized in a way that forces the two
streams to wait for each others I/O operations.
- There is no rebuffering support. This means data underruns sounds worse
What is required to do rebuffering? Any code suggestions?
It is worth it. Alsa will be around for a long time. This is an
opportunity for Ekiga people to contribute back to ptlib&opal (libraries
that are crucial to this project)
In my opinion, it's not really worth to put much work on using the current
alsa plugin. As long as it works, don't touch it... until it get's fixed in a
proper way, possibly by using a pulse plugin instead.
As for the latency discussion about alsa vs pulse: This review shows that
anything will be much better than current alsa code...
The current alsa code works mostly.. it is close.. If there was some
usable docs at alsa to explain what is not good, that would help.
Anyone able to work out what is actually wrong in the alsa plugin?
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.
Email: derek indranet co nz
ph +64 3 365 6485
] [Thread Prev