Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga 3.0.1 can not find numeric host name [resent]

Hello,

Le lundi 10 novembre 2008 à 22:20 +0100, Marten Gajda a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Ekiga 3.0.1 can not find the hostname of my registrar. My registrar is
> 0351.sip.arcor.de. My linux box can resolve this host (Ekiga 2.16.0
> works too).
>
> ekiga -d 5 returns something like this (and much more of course):
>
> Housekeeper:0xb52b7b90 SIP     Starting REGISTER for binding refresh
> Housekeeper:0xb52b7b90 SIP     Changing REGISTER handler from
> Unavailable to Restoring, target=sip:            0351 sip arcor de,
> id=.................................
> Housekeeper:0xb52b7b90 Socket  Illegal RFC952 characters in DNS name
> "0351.sip.arcor.de"
> Housekeeper:0xb52b7b90 Opal    Could not find host "0351.sip.arcor.de"

According to RFC 952 (see ASSUMPTIONS, para 1)

    A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
    to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
    sign (-), and period (.).  ... The first character must be an alpha
    character.

So, the hostname "0351.sip.arcor.de" is not legal according to RFC 952
and Opal enforces this.

However, this requirement was apparently dropped in RFC 1123 (see 2.
GENERAL ISSUES, para 2.1)

       The syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952
       [DNS:4].  One aspect of host name syntax is hereby changed: the
       restriction on the first character is relaxed to allow either a
       letter or a digit.  Host software MUST support this more liberal
       syntax.

So, it seems that Opal is out of date :) I've fixed the code in SVN.

Craig just fixed this in SVN trunk. You can try TRUNK snaps from
snapshots.ekiga.net ...
--
 _     Damien Sandras
v_/_   Be IP           : http://www.beip.be/