[Ekiga-list] All or nothing

I am trying to set the family up on Ekiga.
The university students with laptops containing built-in mikes & speakers are natural for Ekiga.
At home I purchased an SPA3102 because we want to answer a regular phone when they call. I can not get ekiga to register from the PAP.

My laptop can register with ekiga and the process via wireshark seems straightforward.
ekiga asks the dns for stun.ekiga.net and
gets redirected to stun01.sipphone.com.
ekiga then sends a tcp message port 60429 to the stun server and
gets a stun binding response.
sends an mdns standard query (looks like to see if I am registered from another ip)
receives a few more stun binding responses
looks up _sip._udp.ekiga.net = no such name
sends a sip register
sends a tcp message to port 60430
sends a subscribe message
receives 401 unauth error
receives 500 server error
receives 200 OK (and the phone works)

Failing spa3102:
does not send an mdns query
queries the dns for ekiga.net
receives a couple of dns responses
sends a sip notify
sends an icmp port unreachable message back to one of the dns servers
receives a sip 404 error

Any idea what I need to adjust?