Re: [Ekiga-list] could not register : behind a router

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Fedor vonBock <f vonbock gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully compiled and run ekiga (albeit with admin
> privilege).  However, I am not able to connect.  The bar below has the
> message (could not register sip:<username>@ekiga.net.
>
> I am behind a US robotics router and i want to know if that's significant.

There are lots of issues with being behind routers doing NAT. It is
not possible to tell from the information you gave which specific one
applies to your case -- US Robotics makes many different models and
any specific model could be configured in a myriad of ways.  Ekiga
handles many of the issues pretty well by using STUN. You need to run
the Configuration Assistant[0] to see what information it can tell you
about what type of NAT you may be experiencing.  See the wiki [1] for
more information on NAT specifically.

Good luck and ask on the list again if you still have trouble after
experimenting and reading a bit.

0. http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Configuring_Ekiga
1. http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router

Best wishes,