Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga quits, (crashes?), when I click on the Webcam icon, or on the "Test Video Device" button in the Druid.

Ian,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:03:33PM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le lundi 22 octobre 2007 à 17:06 -0500, Ian Murdoch a écrit :
> > Hi All,
> > I am a registered user of Ekiga and have Version 2.0.9 installed.  I
> > searched  in your ekiga-list archives and found that you were already
> > aware of this  problem, so did not file a bug report. I also read your
> > note that this bug had been fixed in the next version of Ekiga to be
> > issued. My O.S. is Ubuntu/Linux 6.06 LTS, Dapper. So I have been
> > waiting for you to post a Download of Version 2.0.11 for this O.S.
> > that I can install. So far you have only posted download files for
> > Feisty. So my questions are:
> > 1 - Do you propose to post a download file for Dapper? If not, then:
>
> I do not think so. But perhaps somebody will do a backport.

that would include backporting half of GNOME to make this work. For now
it's quite unlikely this will happen. I know Dapper as the LTS is a very
nice basis, but we've so far voted against automated backports due to
the sheer amount of build-depends to satisfy manually. LTS is in that
way a very good choice for a server, but not for the desktop.

> > 2 - Can I safely install any of the download files for Feisty, or
> > Debian? If not, then:
>
> No, it is not safe.

Fully agreed. ;)

> > 3 - How can I obtain and install Ekiga Version 2.0.11 in my O.S.?
>
> You will have to compile it. If you are new to this, I would recommend
> against trying it as it might be complex and potentially break your
> system.
>
> Perhaps you could simply upgrade your distribution to something newer.

This is indeed the only true alternative. Everything else will render
you almost there anyway.

> > I am a newcomer to Linux and do not know all the tricks and shortcuts,
> > so I will appreciate your help.
> > For your information, I am trying to set up my Webcam, which is a MSI
> > Starcam 370i. My system detects it and it appears as a Sangha 350k in
> > the video devices page of the Druid. Also, from the command line info,
> > it uses jpeg compression. I have searched on the web to discover the
> > correct driver and have found that this webcam is supported by the
> > spca5xx driver. I have downloaded the package spca5xx-source from the
> > Linux repositories, using Synaptic P.M. and I have compiled it and
> > installed it. Also, already installed on my system are:
> > libopal-2.2.0 (2.2.8-0dapper0)
> > libopal-doc 2.2.1-1ubuntu1
> > libpt-1.10.0 (1.10.7-0dapper0)
> > libpt-plugins-alsa (    idem      )
> > libpt-plugins-v4l   (    idem      )
> > libpt-plugins- v4l2(    idem      )
> > From what I have read in your archives, I may need to change all these
> > files!

Yes, you would. And quite a bit more even.

> > So your comments on this point would be helpful. I am anxious
> > to test my webcam with this driver, with the hope that I can get this
> > hardware working. At the moment I am using Ekiga, with much
> > satisfaction, mostly for VoIP international calls to fixed phones
> > through Diamondcard, with whom I have an account. I also make a few
> > calls to mobile phones the same way. Speed of connection, sound
> > quality and clarity are all top class. So I congratulate you digital
> > wizards for creating an excelent software programme and I thank you
> > all for your dedication to making and maintaining this very good
> > software within the open source movement. I hope you will be able to
> > help me overcome this last obstacle. Thanks, Yoliano.
>
> Thank you for your compliment ;-)
>
> I have CC'ed Kilian and Luc to know if they were aware of a Dapper
> backport of Ekiga 2.0.11.

There's none that I'm aware of covering GNOME 2.20. Honestly, I'm not
too much into Ubuntu to give an authoritive answer on this. But I can
say as much, I don't do any. =)

Thanks for the compilments though and much luck upgrading your desktop
to Feisty.

--
Best regards,
Kilian