Re: [Ekiga-list] Fullscreen

Hello,

I do have a wide-screen and I definitively do not have the proportions strongly changed in fullscreen mode. Sadly I can not take a screenshot of it.

I am in 1280 x 768, on an ATI Radeon card. Maybe the stretch is less marked because I have a smaller screen?

What I get is something like this:

|	|			|	|
|	|			|	|
|	|			|	|
|	------------------------|-------|
|				|	|
Cheers,

Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
The distortion I'm talking about is when the image is stretched across
the entire widescreen. I don't get this with other software that
understands widescreen, but I do with Ekiga. It was my understanding
that this was because Ekiga takes the image from the stream and just
stretches it for fullscreen mode. Perhaps it works differently?

If you're not getting a distorted (stretched image), I must ask what
your fullscreen dimensions are?

gspca drivers ONLY work with v4l, not v4l2, AFAIK. But this shouldn't
make a difference, b/c Ekiga handles both, and from what I understand,
the system calls are different, but the image quality should be the same
with v4l or v4l2.

As for the resolution issue you mentioned, Ekiga version 2 doesn't
support high resolutions, even though your camera does, so that might
have a lot to do with your fullscreen quality. I recently asked about
different resolution support and was told that version 3 will include
support for higher resolutions.

Chris

Philippe Laliberte wrote:

Hello,

Well I do not get a distorted image with gspca . I tried it with both an
old Logictec Express and a Pixart. That is with v4l not v4l2. The
resolution is pretty bad with both, but I am trying to understand why.
Might be simply that they are piece of junk. I found one in the trash,
the other paid 12£ for it.

Cheers,
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:0928 Logitech, Inc. Quickcam Express
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 093a:2468 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Easy Snap Snake
Eye WebCam

P.S. Chris, you can make your signature as an attachment, it is more
convivial for those that do not have a GPG/PGP plugin. Alternatively you
can get for free a formal Internet personal certificate. It is accepted
by most email browsers, which is better because they can encrypt back
easily any answer they might have.

Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
My webcam works in full screen mode: Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX
(using gspca driver, although it should be noted that until the gspca
driver is patched, or until Ekiga supports more resolutions, this camera
will crop the image instead of scale it).

However, a separate issue I've noticed with fullscreen is that Ekiga
scales the video to match the dimensions of the screen. This is
problematic for widescreen displays because it stretches the picture,
distorting the image. My suggestion is that the scaling should happen to
the largest possible image size that maintains the same image ratio, and
should fill in the leftover with black space (this is how most video
programs nowadays handle widescreen displays).

Chris

RazaMetaL | Only The Good Die Young wrote:

Hi,

What model of webcams are supporting the fullscreen view?

I've one logitech quickcam pro 4000 that can not use the fullscreen
view. I'm using the pwc module for this webcam.

Regards,