Re: [Ekiga-list] speakerphone mode

Damien Sandras wrote:

That is a good idea.

Notice we could also reuse echo cancellation algorithms from Asterisk.

Hi, forgive the intrusion.

I had a similar idea a week or so ago but am not a software engineer. I built and installed Asterisk on my LFS (Linux From Scratch) server. I have a cheap analogue PSTN (x100p) card and the standard EC with the Zaptel modules didn't do much - echo was bad...

I installed the OSLEC canceller from David Rowe (http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html) which is simply a kernel module that interfaces to the zaptel module. It is brilliant! Worked a treat...

On my desk I use the Polycom Communicator (a handsfree combined mic/speaker) USB audio device. And although most of the EC and noise suppression technology is apparently in their Windows only drivers, it works "OK" on my Ubuntu Desktop, but I do have some problems with echo.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the OSLEC module in a more "generic" way (perhaps within ALSA) so that it could be used to provide EC services to almost any audio device or as a "driver" simply for my Polycom C100s... Is this a sensible idea?

Cheers

Alan
--
The way out is open!