Re: [Ekiga-list] noise only

Hi,

Le mercredi 09 mai 2007 �2:23 +0200, Jiri Barton a �it :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a problem with ekiga 2.0.3 and sound. The recording test in the
> Configuration Druid is fine. Then I connect to ekiga.net and call
> 500 ekiga net - the call test. The only thing I can hear is some noise when
> the speaker is supposed to say something, possibly in the same rhythm - as if
> I heard some of high frequencies and low frequencies - as if a filter has
> been used - the timing is okay. The playback of what I say is just the same
> gibberish.
>
> Now, skype runs fine. Even gizmo runs fine. The recording test runs fine. The
> connection is established and I could hear both the answering machine and
> me - if only the sound was not distorted.
>
> I'm behind a DSL router (Fritz!) and using STUN or IP Translation - both with
> the same result. I'm running Kubuntu 7.04 64bit, ALSA with M-Audio 5.1
> Revolution.
>
> The same problem occurs with KPhone and/or with another SIP provider
> (fwd.pulver.com).
>
> What could go possibly wrong? What should I look for in the ekiga debug output
> (no clue)? Does ekiga use different sound settings for the test and the
> communication over network?

Try this :
arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -

and this :
arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

and this :
arecord -D default -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -

and this :
arecord -D default -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

Which of them are working ?

The configuration assistant uses a sample rate of 16 kHz, and when you are in a call,
you will use 8 kHz or 16 kHz depending if the codec is narrow band or wide band. Most codecs
are still narrow band.

Yannick, you could add this in the FAQ in the section "Troubleshooting audio problems".

with a question similar to "I hear noise, or my voice is badly sampled"
--
 _     Damien Sandras