Re: [Ekiga-list] OT: reading caller id from a analog telephone

Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> This is more a general linux/telephony question so I hope it's ok to ask here.
>
> I need an application to be able to popup an information window
> depending on the caller id of an incoming analog telephone call.
>
> I know this can be accomplished with some modems, but I don't like
> this solution because it involves installing PCI or RS232 modems and
> does not scale well for more than a few phones lines.
>
> I would much prefer hardware that has a network interface on the
> computer side. The GrandStream HandyTone 486 adapter looks like it
> just might be able to do this, but there is insufficient detail in the
> manual to know for sure.

I have a Handytone 486 and I don't think it can do that. For a start, it
can simply pass through an incoming analogue call to the handset: it
does not interpret the analogue signal in any way beyond, presumably,
detecting the ring tone so that it can switch.

ael