[Ekiga-list] Configuring Ekiga with proxy/authentication

michel memeteau michel.memeteau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 17:33:23 UTC 2007

MBDSYS has an openwource implementation of a server compatible with
openwengo tunneling protocol

http://www.mbdsys.fr/opensource/htproxy/

hhtp headers are modified to specify the udp destination. we maybe could
give a try ? I guess this only could be used on the ekiga platform by few
people , but as the ekiga.net platform is hosted by 9T I guess bandwidth is
not a problem ?

2007/7/21, yannick <sevmek at free.fr>:

> Le samedi 21 juillet 2007 à 16:31 +0200, michel memeteau a écrit :
> >

> > 2007/7/21, yannick <sevmek at free.fr>:
> >
> >         Well, as far as I know about this, this is technically a bad
> >         choice for
> >         VoIP as it use TCP for transmitting datas. Theoretically
> >         speaking,
> >         unlike UDP, the TCP module at the far end sends back an
> >         acknowledgement
> >         for packets which have been successfully received; a timer at
> >         the
> >         sending TCP will cause a timeout if an acknowledgement is not
> >         received
> >         within a reasonable round-trip time (or RTT), and the
> >         (presumably) lost
> >         data will then be re-transmitted.
> >
> >         Thus this will increase delay in the transmission as each
> >         packet will
> >         wait for the acknowledgement. What will happen if one packet
> >         is lost ?
> >         Does wengo workaround this in some way ?
> >
> >         I wonder how well the http tunnel works for wengo.
> >
> > It works Well , and you can even call any sip adress since wengo 2.0,
> > I understand what you meant about tcp , but microsoft use sip
> > messaging over TCP and it works well for exemple. the http tunnel
> > solution is still the only one for http proxy. it's also what google
> > use for google talk. the point is that wengo http tunnel serve ris not
> > open source I think.
> >

> As far as I understand this technique, it needs a relay server. I highly
> doubt Ekiga can have the necessary ressource to setup such server.
> Beside that, it seems they also workaround the TCP protocol using some
> optimisation.
>
> The real problem is NAT has no standard. This leads to this bad
> situation as described here :
> http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/p2pnat/
> (I've not finished the reading yet, but this is very interesting to
> understand the problem IMHO).
> The good news is the IETF is working on this issue :
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/behave-charter.html
> But this is still a draft :(
>
> This will surely improve. But as now we are stuck...
>
> Regards,
> Yannick
>

> > --
> > %<------------------------------------------------------->%
> > Michel memeteau
> > VOIP | Visio: sip:freechelmi at gizmoproject.com
> > Fixe : 0491886375 !!! APARTIR du 15/09/2007 -> 0811956494
> > Mobile : 0624808051
> > jabber/GoogleTalk : freechelmi at jabber.fr
> --
> Me joindre en téléphonie IP / vidéoconférence ?
> sip:yannick at ekiga.net
> Logiciel de VoIP Ekiga : http://www.ekiga.org
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F

Michel memeteau