[Ekiga-list] Configuring Ekiga with proxy/authentication

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Sat Jul 21 15:47:32 UTC 2007

Le samedi 21 juillet 2007 à 16:31 +0200, michel memeteau a écrit :

> 2007/7/21, yannick <sevmek at free.fr>:
>
>         Well, as far as I know about this, this is technically a bad
>         choice for
>         VoIP as it use TCP for transmitting datas. Theoretically
>         speaking,
>         unlike UDP, the TCP module at the far end sends back an
>         acknowledgement
>         for packets which have been successfully received; a timer at
>         the
>         sending TCP will cause a timeout if an acknowledgement is not
>         received
>         within a reasonable round-trip time (or RTT), and the
>         (presumably) lost
>         data will then be re-transmitted.
>
>         Thus this will increase delay in the transmission as each
>         packet will
>         wait for the acknowledgement. What will happen if one packet
>         is lost ?
>         Does wengo workaround this in some way ?
>
>         I wonder how well the http tunnel works for wengo.
>
> It works Well , and you can even call any sip adress since wengo 2.0,
> I understand what you meant about tcp , but microsoft use sip
> messaging over TCP and it works well for exemple. the http tunnel
> solution is still the only one for http proxy. it's also what google
> use for google talk. the point is that wengo http tunnel serve ris not
> open source I think.

As far as I understand this technique, it needs a relay server. I highly
doubt Ekiga can have the necessary ressource to setup such server.
Beside that, it seems they also workaround the TCP protocol using some
optimisation.

The real problem is NAT has no standard. This leads to this bad
situation as described here :
http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/p2pnat/
(I've not finished the reading yet, but this is very interesting to
understand the problem IMHO).
The good news is the IETF is working on this issue :
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/behave-charter.html
But this is still a draft :(

This will surely improve. But as now we are stuck...

Regards,
Yannick