[Ekiga-list] no audio xmit

Ethy H. Brito ethy.brito at inexo.com.br
Wed Jul 18 12:55:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:09:24 +0200
Julien Puydt <jpuydt at free.fr> wrote:

> Ethy H. Brito a écrit :
> > Yes there is an audio test. And no, It doesn't succeed.
>
> Then your audio setup isn't in a usable state.

This is for sure!

> > But, as a Linux application, it could at least give a little more useful
> > message.
>
> It tries to open "Default" and that fails. There's nothing more to be
> said because it doesn't know more about it.

nothing against it but that is the problem with layered applications.
No Flames Please. Just a thought.

> > What audio device is it trying to open??? /dev/WHAT???
> > "Default" is meaningless. At least for me.

I managed to find the final device ALSA is trying to use.
I found that my udevd (I think) created some /dev/snd devices with 664
permissions. Particularly pcmC0D0c. I changed it to 666 and ekiga is
sending out audio.

The problem is every time I boot I have to change it manually. I'll search
some udevd docs and see how to fix this.

I am pretty convinced it is a Slackware 10.2 config thing.

Regards

Ethy