[Ekiga-list] more on 120 spacecam

David Ford dford at ansur.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 20:46:39 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan
Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Hi David,
> Nope, that didn't work at all. I added the blacklist file as you
> suggested and then plugged in the webcam but both modules loaded
> (according to lsmod). So I manually removed the sn9c102 using modprobe
> -r and verified that it was gone but spca5xx remained using lsmod. I
> started Ekiga and it didn't even detect the camera.

Rats!

With no camera plugged in there should be no module loaded - when you
plug the camera in only one module should load. If you remove the module
that hotplug bound the camera to then I don't think the camera will bind
to the other module until you plug it out and plug it in again - this
will, of course, load sn9c102 . . .
There has to be a way to stop that module loading.
> I reloaded the sn9c102 with modprobe and restarted Ekiga. The good news:
> Ekiga now saw the camera. The bad news: same as before. The little error
> window opens saying there's a problem and no image. Oh well.

This is exactly the problem that blacklisting the sn9c102 driver fixed
for me. - Maybe there's something wrong with the syntax I gave you for
the blacklist file. - By the way, I'm still using Fedora Core 3, so
things have probably moved on by now - it might be worth doing a 'man
hotplug' and see if there's any details of blacklists there.

'udev' seems to be the way things are going - perhaps you need to see if
there's a blacklist for udev?

David