[Ekiga-list] Remote user offline (ALMOST THERE)

Michel van der Kleij michel at tukcedo.nl
Fri Oct 13 19:27:59 UTC 2006

> *sigh*, you seem having all the problems of the world :-/

Pffff absolutely. Dunno what I've done to deserve this. Anyway a few more
tests tonight as you suggested:

> A few steps to debug :
> 1) Make the audio test through the druid, and see if it works.

I can see the "signal indicator" moving which is a hopeful sign. Must be my
hardware though. Heli-noise eliminated by almost completely turning down mic
input. The other system seems fine, I get a nice delay and good sound.

In any case, what I get here is the last few milisecs of my voice being echoed
over and over again, getting louder every time until a certain level is
reached. The echoing continues though and turns into some churchbell-like
noise. WEIRD!

> 2) Try calling 500 at ekiga.net with each of them and see if it works or
> not. Please note that there is a problem with ekiga.net right now,
> it is loosing packets.

My system calls 500 succesfully, I hear the friendly lady but I get some
psychedelic noise played back to me: think drunk or delirious, that type of
echoing mixed through my voice. Even more WEIRD!

Strangely enough, the other system (desktop and FW at the same time) got
engaged signal while calling 500 and it says something like "security check
failed" ...

> arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0
> -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

No complaints and I can hear a squeeling noise and a regularly intervalled "tick".

> arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,
> 0 -c 1 -r 16000 -f S16_LE -

Same, no complaints but psychedelic rhythmbox.

> 5) Try using Default as device or direct access to the device.

The other system works on Default, and I guess you mean "direct access" by
what the druid calls the name/model of the sound card right? Here, both show
that weird behaviour, but I would love to try specifying /dev/audio or
/dev/dsp somewhere if I can?

> 6) Change codecs

Best results with GSM, but still that spooky churchbell and rhythbox effect.

> 7) If you can not see each other, either video transmission is disabled
> or you have a firewall dropping video packets

What would the proto/ports range be for those? They must be blocked by default
policy because I don't see any drops.

Sorry for straining the system to its limits Damien ... I'm sure we'll get
there though!

Michel.

--
M.J.L. van der Kleij