[Ekiga-list] When placing any call I get bad sound....

I am trying to call my family in america but there voice sounds bad.  As if they were cutting in an out very very fast.  Or like they were talking into a fan. (You know you have done it! :P)
Any ideas on how to make it work properly?
MP3 playback is fine.  I can't also do a test call with the same results as above.
I have a snd-hda-intel driver with ubuntu 6.10 and ekiga 2.0.3.
Any ideas or pointers?
--
Jason Brower
Gmail has over 2.7gb of storage space and it is growing?