Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Make preferences window non-modal

Le 26/01/14 20:25, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
On 25/01/14 14:44, Damien Sandras wrote:
Le 23/01/14 14:02, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
I have call window open.  When I open preferences, it is modal, which prevents
me to use the menu in call window.  Is there any reason to have preferences
window modal?

All GTK applications like Gedit, Gnome-Terminal, Cheese, Transmission-GTK (pure
non-GNOME program) use modal windows for preferences.

Neither gedit, nor gnome-terminal and cheese have modal pref window. All of them are non-modal!

Then your window manager is buggy and is ignoring it expressedly.

If you look the code of gedit-preferences-dialog.c, you will see that gtk_window_set_transient_for is called for the parent window.

The documentation contains HIG advices :
Dialog windows should be set transient for the main application window they were spawned from. This allows window managers to e.g. keep the dialog on top of the main window, or center the dialog over the main window. gtk_dialog_new_with_buttons() and other convenience functions in GTK+ will sometimes call gtk_window_set_transient_for() on your behalf.

Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org