Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Help required before the release

Le dimanche 16 septembre 2012 à 17:11 +0200, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> Good afternoon everyone,
>

> As you might have guessed, Ekiga 4.0 is on its way. It will be
> the latest release to be based on GTK2 technologies.
>
> It is also the first release where I did not code day and night
> to get it ready. It would not have been possible to keep Ekiga
> alive when everything was going bad for me without the help
> of you all and mainly Eugen who has been doing an incredible
> amount of work on Ekiga. Eugen, thank you very much!!

Indeed, thank you Eugen !

> Ekiga is now up to speed again. The 4.0 UI is more modern
> and is very stable: I'm using it daily with our BeIP product range
> and it works like a charm :)
>
> The community has made Ekiga 4.0 possible and new patches
> are already waiting for Ekiga 4.2: T.140 Realtime text support,
> H.239 video control support, and a few others.

Thank you guys too, those features are great !

> Right before the release, I would like people to help cleaning the
> website and the WIKI.
>
> The discussion is open, but from my point of view, you should not
> be redirected to the WIKI from the website to download things. It is
> confusing and difficult.

I agree. Having access to the server and being responsible for the
software installation powering the web site (drupal), I'm the one you
should contact to work on this topic.

Seeing how different are the instructions on the wiki to install on
Gnu/Linux and other, this is not as simple as the windows version, but
there is obvious room for improvement.

IMHO, the more challenging part will be to keep the great link we have
with people populating the download section either by editing the wiki,
either by building binaries and the new setup. And, hopefully improve
this link and meet more new people in the process.

This means not breaking the habits contributing people does have, while
making the process more easy. Fortunately, drupal was built with
community in mind ; I'm confident on the possibilities, but this will be
time consuming and I do lack huge amount of spare time.

I wont go much into the details of implementation as this will quickly
get more complex... And I will focus first on a way to connect our
contributors to the download page of the website. With some safety, like
giving first the ekiga version available in the official repositories of
distros.

> I would also clean the WIKI from the user manual. The right source
> for it is through the Ekiga help menu : it allows having a translated
> user manual, and moreover, the manual version which corresponds
> to your software release. The WIKI should present another type of
> documentation: Debugging problems, going technically deeper into
> details, and so on.

I do not think it is realist for me to work on both the wiki and the
website given the spare time I've available.

> Any volunteer to refresh the website and the WIKI ?
> Any volunteer to modernize the CSS for the look & feel ?

For the CSS, it use the zen template (version 6 as of now) for drupal :
http://drupal.org/project/zen

I personally used it with firebug
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/firebug/
to turn the old CSS file of our old static website into the actual
drupal theme you can see on our website. This is of great help. I cannot
help on this at the moment, but providing technical details of the
actual installation.

> The next step is the Ekiga.net upgrade to more recent software
> releases.
> I plan to open up new features, at least for some users, like
> voicemail, RTP
> relaying in case of NAT and others...

The ekiga.net user interface need some improvements, namely the ability
to change the mail address, to close an account (erase all datas) and
the password storage needs some love too.

This should not be too hard if I choose to just improve the actual
software adding it.

I'll try to give half my spare time to the website and the other half to
ekiga.net.

Regards,
Yannick