Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] What to do next after compilation ptlib, opal, ekiga?

Videoconferencing is a large domain.
Solutions dépends a lot of precise specification :
  • networking (public IP adresses, private ones or mixed ones) depending on different locations of your clients.
  • ID : would you use normalized IDs (user registrar, user ip )
  • IM : be careful, there are some restrictions (I work on it)
  • Videoconferencing : how many simultaneous users, how each client will connect to the conf?
After many and many trials, the most usable solution I found is using a PBX (like Asterisk) to host services like IM and VC and something useful, integrating Julius ASR on the PBX to have speech to text instant transcription. I can also connect my PBX with ekiga.net users (or any  public or private network using SI PBX)  if needed.
Today, with this architecture, I can use IM and VC with following limits :
  • IM only when SIP com is established (modified chan_sip asterisk module)
  • VC : only one channel at a time but switching with DTMF (modified app_conference - MeetMe).
  • Multicast will be also easyer to develop using a centralized architecture.
I use in fact Ekiga client.