Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] GSettings in ekiga

On 10/06/10 18:12, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Julien Puydt<jpuydt free fr>  wrote:
Hi,

here is what I have done :
- look the api and try to get a grip on it ;
- update the gmconf api in various ways :
  * remove unused code ;
  * remove useless code ;
  * tweak the api a little (a small leak nest just got away) ;
- write some GSettings code.

Most of it is in master already -- only the last part isn't yet.

What the code I wrote lacks :
- initialization code ;
- actually triggering the callbacks when configuration gets changed ;
- check for valid sanity (I never compiled it -- it's just correct in my
head) ;
- appear in Makefile.am (see previous point) ;
- an option in configure for gmconf-as-gsettings ;
- a schema (should be done by converting the gconf schema) ;
- a migration path for our users (I have no clear idea how to do that yet).

I plan to move the gconf schema to lib/gmconf/ (and move everything related
to it there), since that makes more sense -- will it be a problem for
packagers?

What annoys me deeply for now -- and the main reason I didn't bother to make
my code compiled yet, is that I don't have the right glib on my system. Yes,
debian *unstable* doesn't have glib>= 2.26 yet. Of course, I could get out
of my way and probably find experimental packages somewhere. But why does
gnome want to move to GSettings if it isn't even in the *bleeding edge*
distributions yet!? Won't it give us headaches with our users? For instance,
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html says that we don't have 2.26
available on win32 either...

It is in Fedora rawhide. Clearly Debian experimental isn't that
bleeding edge :-P

But the dconf side of it is still relatively new, its all only been in
Fedora for less than a month.

Where it is written that GSettings are mandatory for gnome 3.0? We could ask André Klapper for that. Moreover, glib 2.26 does not yet exist (2.25 is the current). I suppose there is a misunderstanding here.