Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Feature request for Ekiga: aMSN style login

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG wrote:
> I'm installing Instant Messengers in cibercafes, and there is a lot of
> problems around this kind of software with the common users: the
> different usability as propietary software for MSWindows.
>
> Could have Ekiga an option/plugin/skin to show as first and single
> window, a simple login form for the [Email] and [Password], and allow to
>  have all other preferences (as audio/video) saved before without accounts?
>
> This could help to GNU/Linux installations in public computers. Most
> common people doesn't know what to select in the setup wizard.

I do not understand the usefullness Email and Password window related to
ekiga.

In my opinion, given that all the configuration for ekiga is stored in a
directory, the simplest solution for you is the following.  Start ekiga
on such a machine by aswering completely the wizard and without creating
any account.  Quit ekiga.  Now, the ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga directory
contains all the settings.  What remains to do is:
- each time a gnu/linux user is created, automatically copy that
directory in its home directory
- when a user starts for the first time ekiga, tell him to press
Edit->Accounts menu and create an account.  Note that the account needs
to exist anyway, for ekiga.net for ex. he needs to go to
http://ekiga.net and create one.