Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Setting the goals for Ekiga 3.4

Detlef Lechner schrieb:
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

How about performance profiling? Ekiga may not be responsible, but on a
good video phone call I will see at least one core at 100% CPU usage on
a brand new Core 2 Duo system. Would it be good to profile the OPAL
and/or ptlib as well as Ekiga to get CPU usage down?

I consider this to be important, too.
See Launchpad bug #395594 'Ekiga occupies > 82% of a Centrino computer's
CPU time'

Regards,

Detlef Lechner

As to performance of Ekiga 3.2.6, I did a test calling from WindowsXP (single core Athlon 2 GHz) Ubuntu Jaunty (Core2Duo, 1.8 GHz). I had theora video at 640x480 and 128 kBit. The Linux Box was running with both cores at about 1.2 GHz 55% used, the WinXP Ekiga used about 55% at full speed of the old Athlon. Without call and local video only, both cores of the Linux box were running at 800 MHz using 22% each, the Athlon's usage under XP was about 6%. When switching cameras and doing local video only. The Athlon went up to 42% while the Core2Duo dropped to 7% usage of each core at 800 MHz. The good Cam was an old Phillips PVC740K ToUcam Pro, the bad one a Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks, 3rd generation, i.e. still with not fully mature firmware. I think that we have to question the systems which show bad performance of Ekiga in more detail.
Michael